This post may contain affiliate links and we may earn compensation when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
My daughter and I received complimentary Invisalign® treatment, but all opinions expressed are my own. Full disclosure.
A couple of years ago I remember feeling very self-conscious about my smile. It was something that had bothered me for a while and then one day Emmy asked me why I had one tooth that was “higher” than the others. I'm sure my cheeks turned bright red and as much as a three-year-old doesn't really understand how the things they say can upset us, the truth was, my tooth was higher than the rest and it was because I didn't wear my retainer after having braces as a teen. That is exactly what I told her and I tried not to let her see that I was embarrassed.
From then on I had a major complex about my smile. I love smiling at people but I also noticed I started doing it less, or not smiling as big as I used to. I knew that if my teeth were straighter, I would feel more confident and better about myself, but I also knew there was no way I was going to have braces again. No way!
So that was that when it came to my teeth, or so I thought.
Then one day I saw an article about Invisalign treatment. The article was geared more towards teens, but I decided to see if they had anything for adults too. In my mind, I couldn't imagine them only having a solution for teens and I was right. Invisalign treatment can be great for adults and teens!
Fast forward a couple years and I not only started Invisalign treatment, but I have completed it too, so I wanted to write this post about what it is really like to have Invisalign treatment as an adult. I think this is the right time to talk about it because it was very complimentary to my life and as that goes, I will probably not remember the small details for too long!
Here is what it is really like to have Invisalign treatment as an adult:
- It is pretty much the perfect solution for adults, in my opinion, because you can take it off and put it back on again. This doesn't seem like a big deal, but if you are having an important meeting over let's say lunch, you can just take your Invisalign clear aligners off before the meeting and then once it is done brush your teeth and your aligners and put them right back in.
- Unless somebody really looks, Invisalign clear aligners are virtually invisible. The aligners are clear and fit snugly to your teeth, making them hard to see or notice, in my experience. Each time I switched my aligners (every 7 days or depending on your Orthodontists recommendations) I would get a slight lisp for a couple hours as my tongue adjusts to them. Nobody has ever commented on it and I think I could hear it because I was looking for it, but what I did to avoid that was to switch them at night, right before I went to bed. See #3 for more reasons why I did this.
- In my experience, it wasn’t very painful. I’ve had metal braces, so I’ve experienced both types of orthodontic treatment. I felt some discomfort for the first few weeks as my teeth got used to the idea of moving and wearing the clear aligners. I started changing them at night so that I was asleep during that transition period and then I would wake up feeling great, with little to no soreness.
- You can eat and drink anything, you just have to remove your aligners first. That means popcorn, sticky candy and all those things you can't have with braces you can still have with Invisalign clear aligners. I had to have attachments put on my teeth to keep my aligners in place. They are little pieces that match my teeth, but those can get stained so I avoided things that stain like tea and cranberry juice. Those can also be changed if they do get staining. Other than that, I didn't really do anything different than before Invisalign treatment.
- People who have had Invisalign clear aligners will stop you and want to talk. I've had this happen quite a few times and I laugh each time. It is like a secret club. We all are so excited to be seeing our new smiles that we can't help but stop and say hello to fellow Invisalign clear aligner wearers. It's actually pretty cool!
- Invisalign treatment will get you a straight smile a lot quicker than you think. My total Invisalign treatment time took less than two years from start to finish. Invisalign treatment is now up to 2x faster (due to weekly aligner changes) than it was when I first started, so just imagine how quick you could have the smile of your dreams!
If you are thinking of starting Invisalign treatment, click here to find an Invisalign provider near you to learn more and get started!
Did you make any self-improvement resolutions for 2018?