This post contains affiliate links. We may earn compensation when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
It has been raining cats and dogs (pun intended) for days here in SoCal and we are all feeling so lucky to be getting this much needed rain, but Rufus has about had enough. Thankfully it is holiday time, so he is going to get spoiled as we make the holidays special for our pets. I’m so happy to share this story within my partnership with Beneful as part of their #FriendsOfBeneful project.
To add some cheer to Rufus’ day, we decided to surprise him with an early Christmas/birthday present from Beneful. Since he is a December baby we always combine the holidays for him. I’ve had dogs in my life since I was a kid, and Rufus and Buddy, an English Springer Spaniel who was a part of my family years ago, are the closest to being human that I’ve even seen. I think it has a lot to do with the breed (Rufus is an Austrian Shepherd), but they totally know when the holidays are here. As soon as Rufus sees us get the decorations out of the garage, he starts to get excited, and a little restless too.
So, we have a few things we do that keeps him happy and makes the holidays extra special for him!
Here they are:
1. We surprise him with gifts just like we do for our kids. He loves getting treats and toys, so this makes him happy and has him looking forward to the holidays.
2. We keep his schedule as normal as possible. We make sure that he is fed his favorite Beneful Dog food at the same time each day.
3. We make sure he is extra comfortable. As it gets cooler and rainy, we make sure that he has a nice, warm and soft bed to sleep and rest in.
4. We make sure he gets extra play time. Emmy loves jumping in the rain and splashing in the puddles and so does Rufus. We make sure they both get extra time to run around and enjoy some fun.
5. We make sure he has some space to get away to. The holidays bring guests into our homes that we don’t see often. This can sometimes be overstimulating for an older guy like Rufus who used to enjoy bigger crowds when he was younger. He still loves seeing guests, but he just needs some extra time to warm up. He tires easier, so we make sure he has a place to go to, and we make sure our guests know to let him rest when he goes there. Once he comes back out, it means he is ready to party again!
We also check in on Rufus and our cats often during the holidays to make sure they are doing well! Since there are a lot of different decorations out and foods, we watch to make sure none of them “accidentally” get into something they shouldn’t have. I’m looking at you, cats! Thankfully Rufus loves his Beneful Dog food, so we know he won’t be snacking elsewhere. The cats, on the other hand, think that the Christmas tree is a buffet and the ornaments the entertainment. I swear I have seen Rufus roll his eyes at the cats!