This post contains affiliate links. We may earn compensation when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
Pete and I had the pleasure of attending the grand opening celebration for the new attraction at Disney California Adventure Park, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY-MISSION: BREAKOUT! as the guests of Disney.
Be sure to watch the video at the bottom of Pete experiencing Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! too!
Here is everything you need to know about this AMAZING attraction!
This new attraction has been highly anticipated and it didn't disappoint!
You are immediately launched into a Rockin’ New Adventure: Helping Rocket Save the Guardians! It is fueled with high-energy, hilarious action that will be fun for Super Hero fans and those who are discovering this story for the first time as it entices guests with an original storyline based on “Guardians of the Galaxy” films, comics and animated television series, with a rapid rise into chaotic adventure and surprising visuals. The fast-paced action rocks to the beat of music inspired by the films’ soundtracks, including classic rock and pop music from the ‘60s, ‘70s and early ‘80s. And with multiple ride profiles, guests never know which adventure they’ll get.
It starts as you enter a grandiose, 183-foot tall fortress where you will discover that the Guardians have been imprisoned by the arrogant, acquisitive Taneleer Tivan, known as The Collector where you will join a daring escape plan devised by Rocket, who once again proves his uncanny ability to break free from any prison or captivity. The dominating fortress is adorned with antennae, satellite dishes and other mysterious apparatus and is accented in shimmering hues of blue and gold. At night, with special lighting, it pulsates with imposing power. A gilded, eight-foot-tall statue of The Collector stands at the entrance to the fortress, towering over guests. As a VIP guest of The Collector you will be able to view the unique “Tivan Collection” of relics and species from all over the universe. His latest acquisition is The Guardians of the Galaxy.
The Lobby of the fortress is both fascinating and creepy – filled with display cases that hold artifacts and living creatures, which The Collector has obtained and made available for public viewing. In a welcome video, The Collector explains how he has trapped the Guardians of the Galaxy high atop his fortress in secured glass cages that are wired with power from a massive generator and suspended over a deep abyss. The Collector’s Office Before leaving the Lobby and entering The Collector’s Office, guests hold up their hands to be “bio-scanned” for security clearance. In the Office, even more of The Collector’s relics are on display and, as in the Lobby, the collection contains some hidden references that will delight dedicated Super Hero fans and Disney fans. Suddenly, Rocket appears, telling guests he needs their help. Using their security clearances, he can hijack the gantry lift to the top of the fortress, disable the generator, and free his friends. The Gantry Lift Of course, Rocket’s plan faces challenges. After guests enter the gantry lift, Rocket overrides The Collector’s recorded tour spiel with music from the tape player of Star-Lord (aka Peter Quill). Soon, the gantry is shooting up into the fortress, then plummeting downward as Rocket attempts to take control of the generator. It’s here that guests experience one of the attraction’s six different ride profiles, each synchronized to one of the songs on the “awesome mix tape”:
- “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar
- “Give Up The Funk” by Parliament
- “Born To Be Wild” by Steppenwolf
There’s More Than Meets the Eye here too! Here are some fun and quirky facts about it:
- Displayed prominently in gold on the front of the Fortress is the logo for The Tivan Group, The Collector’s company. The logo is triangular in shape with a downward arrow representing The Collector’s mining colony on Knowhere, the realm located at the edge of the universe. Miners extract precious spinal fluid to sell on the galactic black market, generating funds for The Collector’s next acquisitions.
- Cast members wear the Tivan logo on the sleeves of their galactic garb, created in bold tones of purple and gold, in line with The Collector.
- Some characters and creatures that guests may know from the new film, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” also appear in the new attraction, including Mantis and the Abilisk.
- In the Fortress Lobby, a video welcome from The Collector Introduces guests to his assistant, Apheta. A Krylorian, Apheta is new to the world of Guardians of the Galaxy, making her first appearance in the Fortress. Like all Krylorians, Apheta is pink.
- Guests who look carefully may spot some items in the Tivan Collection that are familiar in Disney Parks. For example, the video shown in the Lobby features The Collector’s desk, and on that desk is a maquette of the ghost dog from the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland Park.
- It is also the tallest attraction in the Disneyland Resort, it even extends 40 feet underground.
- There are 525 new shrubs, including 25 varieties, grown outside the Fortress as part of Tivan’s Oasis (aka the “Gardens of the Galaxy”). 30 trees, representing 13 varieties, grow in Tivan’s Oasis, including Queensland Bottle, African Tulip and Song of India trees. There are 25 potted plants, representing 20 varieties, also grow in Tivan’s Oasis. On display are numerous examples of rare and unusual plants such as Cyphostema juttae (also known as Namibian grape), Dioscorea elephantipes (Elephant's Foot), and Tylycodon reticulatus (Sifkop or Sieve Head).
- 14 overhead vitrines hang in the Lobby, containing both familiar and mysterious artifacts.
- 2 large portraits of The Collector remind guests of his importance. One of these depicts The Collector playing a game with his brother, The Grandmaster, on The Grandmaster’s home planet of Sakaar.
- 2 languages are used throughout one’s visit to the Tivan Collection: English and Celestial, which is native to the realm of Knowhere.
- 1 special cameo features Stan Lee, well-known writer of Super Hero comic books and a forthcoming Disney Legend, somewhere in the tour of the Tivan Collection. Browse Among 2,200 Galactic Artifacts Inside the Fortress, a collection of more than 2,200 rare artifacts from around the galaxy contain plant life, creatures, weapons, costumes and other items of unique interest. Guests might be familiar with many of these items through their knowledge of Super Hero films and comic books. The Collector may choose to change out these artifacts at any time as new items come into his possession.
- On opening day, the Tivan Collection will include: • Cocoon of unknown origin: The Collector does not wish to disturb the creature inside the cocoon, therefore he leaves it in place in hopes it will one day emerge and reveal itself for all to see. • Cosmo, a test dog in the Russian space program of the 1960s (Terran date). • A damaged Ultron Sentry from the Battle of Sokovia • Warlock’s Eye, a powerful weapon that allows those who control it to wield an almost hypnotic mind control over its victims • A Blaster weapon taken from the Guardians of the Galaxy’s “pet rodent,” Rocket • A case of Dark Elf artifacts • A case of Kree artifacts including Terrigen Crystals • A Nova Corps uniform • A Royal Guard’s Uniform from Asgard
Right before it officially opened some of the stars of the movie were there to help celebrate which made everything even more exciting!
We had a photo opp with the whole crew- or at least their cardboard replicas!
Then it was time for Pete to ride one more time.
He went on right when we got there and then again with a camera to record the whole thing!
Watch it here: