This post contains affiliate links. We may earn compensation when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
Last week Pete and I spent a couple days at Disneyland Resorts learning about all the great things happening this summer! Here is your guide and what you need to know to plan your summer 2017 Disneyland visit!
This summer is going to be amazing at Disneyland Resorts!
At Disney California Adventure Park this summer, you will have an opportunity to “Hero Up” during the epic Summer of Heroes and be thrilled on Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
Here are some cool summer things you can look forward to this summer:
- “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off!” • Star-Lord fires up his old-school boom box to get a party started in “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off!”! Here you can show off your moves at this awesome rock ‘n’ roll bash and “dance off” on teams. Fun team names include “Team Pop,” “Team Lock,” “Team Rock” and “Team Roll.” Star-Lord, also known as Peter Quill, is the irreverent, hilarious leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy and host of this experience. He’s obsessed with classic pop music from the ‘60s and ‘70s—which plays an important part in the Dance Off. Gamora, the daughter of Thanos, joins Star-Lord to engage audiences in the fun. Of course Groot, of the species Flora Colossus, arrives at end of the Dance Off to greet excited fans. Guests will only ever hear him utter three words: “I am Groot!” “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off!” features classic hits from the ‘70s inspired by the cinematic world of Guardians of the Galaxy. Guests will move and groove to songs such as: ▪ “ABC” by The Jackson 5 – 1970 ▪ “Come and Get Your Love” by Redbone – 1973 ▪ “Fox on the Run” by Sweet – 1975 ▪ “Shake Your Groove Thin” by Peaches & Herb – 1978 ▪ “All Over the World” by Electric Light Orchestra – 1980
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! The attraction will feature more than 2,200 props from and inspired by the Super Hero universe and six ride profiles, each paired with a pop song inspired by the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films’ soundtracks. An 8-foot-tall, gilded statue of The Collector, Taneleer Tivan, greets guests at the entrance to this thrilling new attraction. He is depicted holding an Orloni (a small rodent-like creature, native to Morag). The Collector’s imposing Fortress looms over the skyline at Disney California Adventure at 183 Terran (Earth) feet high. Tivan’s Oasis, also known as the “Gardens of the Galaxy,” features nearly 60 plant species with shrubs, trees and potted plants decorating the attraction queue.
- Heroic Encounters with Spider-Man and Captain America in Hollywood Land. The friendly neighborhood web-slinger Spider-Man swoops in from New York City. As guests meet with Spider-Man, they will notice the area features nods to the Daily Bugle, the newspaper where Peter Parker is a photographer. Captain America, considered the First Avenger, flexes his strength for guests, wielding a special shield made of the precious metal vibranium, found in the African nation of Wakanda. Guests will encounter Captain America outside a New York Police Station, decked out in red, white and blue bunting. Limited-Time Summer of Heroes Entertainment.
- Avengers Training Initiative. Throughout the day, young guests will participate in this daring adventure on the Hollywood Backlot, to see if they have what it takes to become “Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.”. Young Avengers learn defensive and attack maneuvers to defeat the villain Arnim Zola, who is known by Captain America fans to be from the evil HYDRA organization. Black Widow, also known as Agent Natasha Romanoff, is the commander of the training, demonstrating defensive combat techniques.
You will also want to enjoy this HUGE donut to celebrate both the opening of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY-MISSION: BREAKOUT! and Summer OF HEROES!
My favorite take-home item is this baby Groot tumbler!
Along with some pretty cool merchandise, these Groot delicacies are pretty awesome too!
Here are some other things you will want to experience at the Disneyland Parks this summer!
- Take the (dance) floor with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Star-Lord and Gamora will appear in the epic “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance-Off.” Classic songs blasted from Star-Lord’s boom box will inspire some friendly dance competition.
- Help Rocket save his friends on Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Before the action begins, guests will have to raise their hands and submit to a “bio scan” if they wish to enter The Collector’s private office. It’s the only way to gain clearance to view the amazing collection of Guardians on display, and the first step to joining Rocket’s escape plan.
- Snap selfies with Super Heroes. Throughout Hollywood Land, guests will come face-to- face with some favorite Super Heroes. Photo opportunities with Avengers such as Captain America, as well as members of Guardians of the Galaxy like Groot, will make social media followers super envious.
- Test your Super Hero skills. During the “Avengers Training Initiative,” young recruits will assemble with Black Widow and Hawkeye. Guests will learn techniques and skills from the pros and may be called upon to face off against the evil HYDRA organization.
- Taste a bite of the action. Even Super Heroes need to eat, and guests will be able to fuel up with tasty limited-time food offerings. Summer of Heroes-themed offerings include The Most Dangerous Tacos in the Galaxy and a Multiverse Parfait.
- Shop for fan favorites. Guests will find attraction-exclusive merchandise in the warehouse at the exit of Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!, including retro-designed apparel, adorable plush (courtesy of The Collector) and themed pins. Additional heroic apparel and cool souvenirs are available for guests to proudly show their Super Hero alliance. Disneyland Park
- Pay homage to the Main Street Electrical Parade at Disneyland. Extended by popular demand through Aug. 20, 2017, this nighttime parade features beloved Disney characters and stories, along with half a million twinkling lights and the popular, synthesized music of “Baroque Hoedown.”
- Unwind on the Disneyland Railroad. Reopening this summer, the Disneyland Railroad debuts a new route through a beautiful, newly-imagined waterfront and over an elevated trestle above Rivers of America. Guests will hop aboard once again and take a grand circle tour around Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom.
- Explore Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island. Guests can let their imaginations soar as they take a log raft across the Rivers of America to this island hideaway, then set out by foot to discover its secret caves and passages.
- Watch the Rivers of America blaze to life with “Fantasmic!” The nighttime spectacular “Fantasmic!” returns with magical new effects, music and scenes from some favorite Disney stories. This popular, breathtaking show stars Mickey Mouse and his extravagant dream.
We had such an amazing time and we can’t wait to come back and experience it all as a family later this summer!
Here is our vlog from our completely packed day of activities at the parks including some crazy interviews, the Grand Opening of Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout, and more:
What are you most excited about experiencing here at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park this summer?
I am planning a vacation for me and the kids for next summer. I was trying to figure out a place that we all would have fun and I think we will be visiting here next summer! thanks
This looks like such a fun time! We won’t be making it to Disneyland this summer, but hopefully in the next few years! (Oh and that donut? I want it now, please.)
It has been a hot minute since I’ve been to disney! We are planning to go in 2 years when my LO is a bit older!
I grew up 20 minutes from Disneyland and used to go there a lot when I was younger! So much has changed between then and now! I have to back the next time I’m in town!
Oh gosh, there are so many new things I need to see in Disneyland. I’m definitely going to have to plan a long visit to fit everything in.
I have never been to Disneyland, so it is most definitely on my bucket list. It looks like Summer of Heroes would be a blast to do!
Oh wow. Disney always has something new! I would love to have some of those merchandise – the shirts are so cool. I don’t know if we’d make it this summer, but who knows? I love the Baby Groot delicacies. So cute!
I’ve only been to Disneyland once and I barely remember it. I have been to Disney World a ton of times though. The Summer of Heroes looks like a lot of fun! I love how Disney is always keeping their guests on their toes and coming up with new events and attractions. It makes Disney never get old.
Comments are closed.