5 Tips For Kids Before They Get Their First Phone
Having gone through the first phone experience twice now with my older daughters, I’m so excited to be sharing some of my best tips that I’ve learned via this sponsored post conversation with TracFone. As always, all opinions are my own.
Buying your child’s first phone can be full of challenges.
But it doesn’t have to be. After getting each of my older girls phones I learned a few tips that make the whole process a whole lot easier for everyone involved!
1. Pick the right phone for your child. With more kids than ever getting smartphones, the new TracFone LG Optimus Fuel™ Android™ smartphone (MSRP of $79.99, available for a limited time at Target, Walmart and Kroger for $29.99) offers parents the peace of mind they need with the fun features kids want. Parents can stay connected with their children with TracFone’s unbeatable nationwide coverage. Parents can also create a safe environment on their child’s smartphone while staying connected by taking advantage of a one-year free trial of the NQ Family Guardian™ parental control app. Kids can talk & text with their friends and family as well as get free, exclusive access to fun SpongeBob SquarePants accessories and content, from headphones and full episodes to games and apps. This alone makes this phone invaluable. The number one reason I have my girls carry cell phones is to stay connected to me… in a safe way of course!
2. Make it fun so they will want to use it and always carry it with them. The biggest challenge I’ve had is getting my girls to remember to always take their phones with them. The new TracFone LG Optimus Fuel™ Android™ smartphone comes with exclusive access to SpongeBob SquarePants content. Kids can make the TracFone LG Optimus Fuel™ Android™ smartphones uniquely theirs with fun SpongeBob SquarePants content and accessories. All come with free, exclusive access to SpongeBob SquarePants headphones to help them create a unique look for your phone. They can also download and watch full-length SpongeBob SquarePants episodes along with the ability to download SpongeBob SquarePants Android™ apps and play mobile games. This would totally make them want to bring this phone with them wherever we go!
3. Parents are in control. Make it clear from the start that you, the parent will be monitoring their usage and that the phone is a privilege… a really cool one! With the award-winning NQ Family Guardian™ parental control app parents can monitor and manage their child’s activities, locations and phone usage, including web browsing, app downloads, photo libraries, contacts, text messages and more. All of your child’s smartphone activities can be monitored and controlled online. TracFone LG Optimus Fuel™ Android™ comes with free access to NQ Family Guardian™ parental control app for one year, a $34.99 value accessible via any Internet browser on a smartphone, tablet or computer.
4. Pick an affordable phone and plan. TracFone is one of the largest and most well-known no-contract cell phone service providers with nationwide coverage on America’s largest and most dependable networks. TracFone offers an extremely affordable way to own and use a cell phone in the US with plans with talk, text and data starting as low as $19.99 for 90 days and affordable phones from leading manufacturers like LG and Samsung. There are no overages, no bills and no hidden fees to worry about.
5. Set rules from the start. Let them know when they are allowed to use it… and remind them they are always supposed to respond right away when they see you are calling or texting! Set guidelines about social media and picture taking and sharing. One of the benefits of getting your child a phone is that you are helping them develop a lifetime of healthy and safe habits surrounding technology usage.
*Plans and Phones sold separately. Average cost of $7/month* (*A month equals 30 days). Check coverage availability and Terms and Conditions of Service at TracFone.com. Other limitations apply.