Last weekend I stopped into Walmart to buy my daughter tights for her Holiday Choir Performance and I was looking for a quick weeknight meal using shredded hash browns. I knew that after her performance I would need to put together a quick meal since it would be late and we would all be really hungry.
As I was heading to the girls department I saw that Ore-Ida was doing a demo using their hash brown potatoes and we stopped to try this new recipe. It’s called Ore-Ida Cheesy Potato Casserole and it was delicious! I love that it’s not a breakfast dish. I think that hash browns are often forgotten at other meals. It was was so good that I took home the recipe to share with you all…
That’s about the time that I decided to make Hash Brown Potato Taco Stacks for dinner! First up I had to buy the star of our meal, the hash browns! They were easy to find in the frozen section… and I bought the package that has the Disney Frozen Sweepstakes! You can win lots of prizes including a vacation
Later that night it was time to make dinner!
It’s really easy to assemble and could be made ahead and then just heated up if needed! This was really filling just as it is but you could add some ground beef as an additional layer if you like, but even my meat eater husband thought the potatoes were hearty enough. He even had seconds!
Hash Brown Taco Stack
- 1 Package of Ore Ida Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes
- 5 burrito sized flour tortillas
- 2 cups of cheese… I used cheddar and mozzarella
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 avocado, tomato, a bundle of green onions and sour cream to garish… feel free to use your own favorites!
- Pour the 2 tablespoons of oil into a pan and fry tortillas just till they are crisp and a bit puffy. Set aside on a paper towel.
- In the same saucepan with the leftover oil, saute the onions and the garlic until the onions are translucent. Add half a package of potatoes and cook until they are slightly brown. Keep on low heat to keep warm.
- In a round baking dish that is sprayed with non stick spray, place one tortilla down and cover with cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top and add another layer of cheese.
- Next place another tortilla and cover with the hash browns.
- Place another tortilla and cover with cheese.
- This is when you put your final tortilla down.
- Using your hands, gently squish the tortillas to condense it all.
- Cover with foil and cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until it is heated all the way through.
Allow the stack to cool and then cut in squares and cover with avocado, sour cream, tomatoes and if you like spicy food… a bit of hot sauce!