Things have been getting pretty hectic around here in the evenings again, especially this past week when the weather has been more summer than winter.
We’ve been going on walks in the evening and just enjoying the great outdoors. I know that more seasonal temperatures are on their way back, so we are enjoying it while we can. The only problem is that there isn’t that much time for dinner before everyone has to start to get ready for the next day, and more importantly bed. To help save time, I’ve been thinking of new quick and easy recipes to make in a hurry. This is now one of our new favorites and features canned vegetables from our partner Von’s.
I got the inspiration for this recipe like I do most of mine lately….from planning our travel schedule. Although there are no plans right now to visit the Mediterranean, I was looking at family friendly cruises to the area, so maybe we’ll be making it there sooner rather than later. Until then, this dish will keep us dreaming.
When we stopped into Von’s yesterday, I wasn’t completely sure what I was going to include in this pasta dish. I knew the direction (Mediterranean) but that was about it. As I walked through the isle, a few vegetables jumped out at me and I just knew that they would accent each other perfectly. Artichoke hearts, spinach, mushrooms and sliced black olives were the winners for the day, and after tasting this pasta, I’m so glad they all made it into my cart.
When I got home, I realized that I already had most of what I needed anyways. We like to keep a well stocked “cantry” because it helps us make nutritious and flavorful dishes we feel good about serving. The seal of a can guarantees freshness, flavor, nutrition and fantastic convenience –everywhere, every time –that no other package provides. Plus, it is so easy to put together a weeknight meal using canned fruits and veggies, including my “One Pot Creamy Weeknight Mediterranean Pasta”.
One Pot Creamy Weeknight Mediterranean Pasta
- 1 Brick of cream cheese
- 1 Cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 Box of cooked pasta (save 1 cup of pasta water to thin sauce if necessary)
- 1 Can of spinach
- 1 Can of sliced black olives
- 1 Can of artichoke hearts sliced
- 1 Can of sliced mushrooms
- 1 Pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half (optional)
- salt/pepper/garlic powder to taste
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Empty cooked pasta into a bowl.
- In the same pot you cooked the pasta add the spinach, artichokes and mushrooms and cook on high for 3 minutes stirring often.
- Add the olives and half of the tomatoes. Continue cooking and stirring for a minute.
- Add in the cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Add in the heavy whipping cream and bring to a boil for 2 minutes or until it reaches the desired consistency of a thick sauce. If it gets too thick you can thin it with the pasta water.
- Toss the sauce with the pasta and and top with the remaining tomatoes.
From start to finish this dish takes me about 20 minutes… the longest part is waiting for the water to boil!
Do you have a favorite recipe that uses canned food?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons (or name of your local Albertsons owned store) . The opinions and text are all mine.