In honor of earth week I have some awesome recipes to share that use what is in season and at the peak of freshness! Strawberries are a really nice accent flavor and Mary turns a bed of lettuce into a salad to be celebrated with her Homemade Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing on Chicken Strip Salad! Enjoy!
Earth Day is celebrated every April 22nd to bring awareness to the resources of our planet. That’s why this salad is perfect to celebrate the holiday!
I call this the “Bounty of the Earth” salad because you can use whatever fruits and veggies are in season. Here’s my version, using the top fruits and veggies in season right now, making it quick, affordable and healthy. Serve it as a side to your meal, or top it with grilled chicken and serve it as your main dish.
Bounty of the Earth Salad
Ingredients for the salad:
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 sliced strawberries
- 1/4 of a red onion, diced
- 4 oz baked or grilled chicken strips (optional)
- Be sure to wash all of your fruits and vegetables before beginning.
- Split the spinach between two plates.
- Top with other ingredients to finish off your salad.
- If you choose to add chicken to your salad, add it now.
- Top with your favorite low fat dressing, or try the one below!
Homemade Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/8 cup fresh basil, packed
- 4 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add 2 TBSP to top your salad.
-Salad/No dressing/No chicken 134 calories in 1 serving/With chicken 234 calories in 1 serving
-Salad/2TBSP dressing/No chicken 176 calories in 1 serving/With Chicken 276 calories in 1 serving