Snack time is a great time to have a quick but meaningful conversation with your kids. The girls and I had a fun snack with Smart Candy who is sponsoring this conversation.
I’ve been doing this for years.
I do my rounds and pick up the girls all from their (different) schools and I always ask “so what did you do today”? The answer is always “nothing”. And then we listen to music. When my oldest started school the head of her school asked me if I had asked her about her day when I picked her up. I said I had and then she started to laugh… she could tell by my expression that I wasn’t happy with the answer. She asked if my daughter told her she did nothing all day. We had a quick conversation about how that was a good thing… and that if she was unhappy she would certainly tell me and that “nothing” was actually “I had a great day”.
For years I let that go… but I couldn’t get over the fact that they had this other life and I didn’t get to be a part of it or even hear the details.
So I started to offer a special snack at home for after school and I always ask them the same five questions and my world shifted. Gone are the “nothing” responses. I’m now really hearing about their day and we are both benefiting. Sometimes they are processing things that happened and before they just went over it in their heads and now I can help them with whatever they are trying to understand. I can see where they are struggling and excelling. I can be a better mom.
These are the five questions you need to ask your kids during after school snack time:
- Did you have a horrible day? This one needs an explanation of course, I mean why would you ask your kid this right? Well, for me it started as a joke. At drop off I’d tell them I loved them and then wish them a horrible day. We love to joke around and it would make them smile. I’d always get a “No Mom! I’m going to have an awesome day!”. So then I’d ask if they had a horrible day at snack time and I’d get the same response. “No Mom! I had a great day”. Which leads us to question #2.
- You had a great day… Why? Now that they are in a silly mood the sharing starts… I normally get to hear at least one good thing about their day.
- Who did you sit with at lunch? Now we get into friendships. You can tell a lot by who they are sitting with and why. If they say the usual people all is good… and if they say something different it’s a good lead in to find out why and if there is a problem.
- Do you have a lot of homework? Innocent enough right? But again it’s a great way to find out how school is going. If there is a lot of homework, more than usual it can mean they are having to repeat work… or that the class is challenging. Which is a good thing or bad thing depending on the child. This can also help you plan how the evening should go. Maybe you need to skip that family fun time and spend it working together on school work.
- Excitement question- This one changes daily. I like to end our chats with something for them to look forward to. We talk about upcoming trips, school events, or family get togethers. I normally start the question with “So, are you excited for XYZ?” This ends it all on a happy note no matter what we discussed earlier.
One thing that really makes our after school talks something they look forward to is having the right snack.
It has to be something delicious… and good for them. For the past couple days we have been having SMARTCANDY. And by we, I mean all of us. (I’m in LOVE with the Lemon Gummy).
SMARTCANDY A naturally delicious snack filled with good things so you can do smart stuff. Each pack is an excellent source of vitamins A+B+C. No high fructose corn syrup or trans fats.
SMARTCANDY can be found at Target and Walmart… so you can grab some when you are doing your regular shopping. Each pouch has just enough snacks in them for the perfect afternoon pick me up. The girls all loved it! The Little One’s favorite was the yogurt covered… and Middle Daughter loved the mixed berry gummy!
We enjoyed them during our after school chat, and also on the go.
We had a jam packed weekend and I just grabbed a couple bags for later when we went for a hike in the hills. They are the perfect size to stick in your purse for the kids or even your back pocket. The girls are always asking for gummies as a snack and I’m so happy we discovered SMARTCANDY. They are definitely something we will be buying more of in the future.
I even have a coupon for you! Just right click on the coupon below and choose print!
What is your favorite after school snack?