Prepare for the onslaught of Elf On The Shelf Posts! I’m already seeing them. This year I was even going to get in on the fun until Emmy and I went to the store to buy our own Elf On The Shelf. As I held it in my hands ready to head over and pay for it I had a change of heart. Here are seven reasons we are not doing Elf On The Shelf.
- He’s creepy. That is the first thing my daughter said when she saw him. She pointed to the look on his face and the way that his eyes follow you.
- The threat of Santa seeing everything, not just where the Elf can see is good enough for me. I was raised on the believe that you had to be “extra good” during the holidays because Santa can see and knows everything… we don’t need some creepy elf taking notes too.
- Who has the time? This is the number one reason I’m not doing Elf On The Shelf. Have you seen all the ideas on Pinterest? Who has time for that each and every single day… and the clean up after? Not me!
- I know I will forget and disappoint my kids. See number 3. This is the busiest time for me work wise and some nights I fall asleep with my laptop open still working… I know I will forget the elf and break my daughters heart.
- They scare my daughter and she feels like he is going to do something scary to her. She really feels like he is going to play a mean trick on her.
- Too much pressure! There is too much pressure to get it “right” during a time when there are already enough pressures from creating a memorable Christmas.
- It’s not what Christmas is all about. It’s about love and kindness, not fear and trickery.
PS. Even after all these reasons not to do Elf on The Shelf… we might still do it, because done right, it can be really fun!