1. Your Marriage or Serious Relationship Your relationship is between you and your partner. Don’t degrade your partner by sharing on Facebook your fights or issues. Respect your relationship and don’t share faults, failures, or other hurtful information. If you need relationship help, get help from a professional or in private from trusted friends.
2. Boss or Job Sharing information about a promotion or special project you are working on could potentially be a problem. Competitors are using information they find on the internet to steal ideas and learn where the competition is going. Plus you don’t want to get in trouble or even fired from your current job for saying unflattering things about your boss or job.
3. Children’s Personal Issues While we love seeing updates about your adorable children, please, respect them and not share their personal issues or problems. No naked baby pictures either please… these babies will grow up and that would be embarrassing.
4. Vacation Plans Sharing vacation plans, whether short term or long term, could potentially set you up for your home to be robbed. You are letting the world know exactly when your home will be empty and a prime target for looting. Just wait till you get back and share away!
5. Personal Confessionals It is easy to confess some of your deepest, darkest secrets to a computer screen. But be careful. Those confessions may not be appropriate to share with the world. Just like words spoken, words in a status update cannot be taken back.
6. Inappropriate Pictures You all know how much attention celebrities are getting from inappropriate pictures, be careful about those questionable pictures… they may come back and bite you. Look very carefully at every picture you take. Remember that picture of a certain celebrity that he posted that accidentally showed his wife just about to breastfeed? Instead of the well planned photo being shared all people saw was a half naked person. Whoops!
7. Risky Behavior Insurance companies are often looking online to see whether or not we are engaging in risky activities. Sharing these activities may cause your rates to go up or to be declined insurance.
8. Your Phone Number and Address Sharing personal information on Facebook is very unwise. Check your profile and personal settings to be sure that your profile page is not sharing this personal information publicly.
9. Family Issues Grandma was correct when she told us not to “air our dirty laundry.” Keep family things in the family and pick someplace other than Facebook to settle the Family feuds.
10. Religious or Political Hot Topics Before you post that hot topic religious or political comment or status, be aware that you may be opening pandoras box of unsavory comments and replies. If you can’t handle arguments, it is probably best NOT to post on those subjects.
What topics do you avoid on Facebook?