I feel so lucky to have the perfect husband for me. Thankfully he has never been said these things to me… but it always shocks me when others tell me that their husband have said these things to them. When you tear down your spouse, you are tearing down yourself. Both husbands and wives need to step up and be aware that they have the power to build up their marriages.
Here are 10 things you should NEVER say to your wife.
1. My mom does things this way… Your mom may be a wonderful woman, but you are not married to her. Please, respect your wife for the woman she is and the differences that make her special.
2. You’re acting like your mother… In truth, she may at times act like her mother, but she don’t want to be told that in a negative, condescending way, which not only is degrading to her, but also her own mother. Not to mention these are fighting words. You’ve been warned!
3. Have you taken your medicine yet? Really, that is NOT helpful. If there is a medication that your wife can take to help her with a medical need, she doesn’t need it thrown in her face that she has something she is struggling with.
4. It’s my money. You are married. You share a home and a life. If you choose to keep accounts separate, make sure to share in the responsibilities. You are a team. You both share the burden and the benefits.
5. Why can’t you be more like… Comparison is the thief of Joy. Don’t compare her to an Ex-wife/girlfriend, movie star, or your best friends wife. She is not them.
6. You look fine. Fine is a very loaded word in a women’s vocabulary. It gives no true value or opinion. Please, let her know you care by taking the time to say a little more then “Fine.”
7. Maybe you should go on a diet. If your wife has gained a little weight or a lot of weight, she more then likely already knows that she has and is trying to deal with it in her own way.
8. What do you do all day? What she does all day is take care of the children, the house, and many other responsibilities. Don’t think for a second that whether she works outside of the home or in the home that her job ever ends. Please, appreciate all the little things she does to keep your home in working order.
9. Stop talking. I am trying to watch the game (or playing X-box or Playstation). This is the loudest way you can tell your wife she is less important then the TV. Try kindly asking her if she could wait until a commercial to talk, and if not, pause the game or turn it off. In the end, it’s just a game.
10. This must be your time of the month… Say this only when you would like a flood of tears or hands around your throat! “That” time of the month is not a pleasant time in any woman’s life. Please, be respectful and even helpful by allowing us to go through that time without the pressure of your comments.
And two bonus things never to say to your wife…
11. Can’t you keep the kids under control? First, they are not just her kids. They are yours too. This comment puts all the responsibility of raising the kids on your wife. Children are not an inconvenience, they are a blessing from God.
12. I work all day. It’s your job to handle the kids. When you say statements like this, you imply that she doesn’t work at all. Children need parents who work together as a team giving them a stable home and loving environment.
Did I miss anything? What else should a husband never say to his wife?
PS. I’ll have a list of things never to say to your husband soon!