We often get busy with running to and from school, doctors appointments, grocery stores, activities, sports, work, and everything else it takes to keep our household running that we forget how important our words are. I am all for healthy activities and keeping busy with a full life, but we often forget the little people growing up in front of us need to hear more words from us. They need us to stop and look them in the eyes, put our arms around them and show them how much they mean to us and hear us say it out loud too!
Here are 10 things you need to say to your kids right now…
1. I love you. I hope you said it to them yesterday. Say it to them again today. Over and over and over.
2. I am proud of you. Let them know that they make you proud. Tell them specifically what it is about them that makes you proud of them.
3. You make me happy just being you. Assure your children that they don’t have to be anyone else to make you happy. You are happy that they are your kid!
4. It’s okay to cry and be upset. Kids are still learning what to do with emotions. Remind them that those emotions are normal and that’s okay.
5. You are unique. And that is awesome. Being different is something to be celebrated.
6. Thank you for helping. Thank your child for the things that they do around the house. Let them know that you notice what they do. Maybe they will in return notice all that you do for them.
7. I am always here for you. No matter what, you will be there. You will listen, you will care. Even if they are not ready to talk, you will be ready to listen.
8. I support you when you decide to “Go For It!” Even children can be afraid to try new things. Let them know that when they decide they are ready, you will be their biggest cheerleader and support them the whole way.
9. You can be anything you want to be! Even though your child may change his mind three times a day of who they want to be when they grow up, encourage them to dream big and to believe that they can attain those dreams. There are no limits.
10. Keep working hard! You can do it! Some things take time and practice. Don’t let your child give up. Cheer them on. Let them know that if they keep working hard they will see results. Believe in them and their ability to learn and grow.
What did I forget? What else do our kids need to hear from us?